About 15,000 people have registered to take part in the global tech show CES in the last 10 days, despite global concerns about the coronavirus Omicron variant, organizers said Friday as a sign of momentum for individual events.
In total, “thousands” of people have so far registered for the show, organizers said, without quoting a specific statistic.
The Omicron variant was first detected in South Africa and Hong Kong last month, raising global concerns about the rapidly-expanding new version of the virus and reducing the likelihood that the recent increase in travel will continue.
More than 1,900 companies have pledged to take part in the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January, about half the pre-epidemic level.
Industry executives, including Mary Bara, CEO of a large company like Sony and General Motors, have planned a trip to Las Vegas, although Nvidia has been planning a large-scale virtual presence for some time.
“We’re not unrealistic: the show is going to get smaller this year,” said Jean Foster, senior vice president of marketing and communications for the group Consumer Technology Association, which hosts the CES show. “It allows us to widen the isles and bridge social distances.”
He said interest in personal presence is still “completely steam ahead.”
All participants must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination for the show, which is open January 5-8.
Thomson Reuters 2021