World Bicycle Day 2022: World Bicycle Day is celebrated every year on 3rd June to spread awareness about sustainable transportation which ensures one’s physical fitness. The day reminds us of the ancient traditions prevalent in the world. It is a special day that can be enjoyed by all people irrespective of age, caste or race. As we enter the twenty-first century, World Bicycle Day is now associated with promoting a healthier lifestyle for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
World Bicycle Day: History
In 2018, when the UN General Assembly declared June 3 as International Bicycle Day, the world celebrated for the first time this affordable, reliable, and sustainable means of transportation. The day is the result of Leszek Sibilski’s campaign and the support of Turkmenistan and 56 other countries to recognize World Bicycle Day. The assembly took into account the versatility and longevity of bicycles that have served as a sustainable means of transportation for over two centuries.
World Bicycle Day: Significance
World Bicycle Day has become even more significant today when the world is plagued by health problems and there is a lack of physical activity among people. The day is now being associated with promoting a healthier lifestyle. The bicycle symbolizes sustainable transportation and carries a positive message for sustainable use and increased productivity.
World Bicycle Day: Inspirational Quotes
- Learn cycling. There will be no regrets if you survive. – Mark Twain
- A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single paddle stroke. – Scott Stall
- Life is like cycling. To keep your balance, you must keep going. – Albert Einstein
- Cycling is not a sport, it is a sport. Hard, hard and ruthless, and it requires great sacrifice. Someone plays football, or tennis, or hockey. No one rides a bicycle. – Jean de Gribaldi
- Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life. Teach a man to ride a bicycle and he will understand that fishing is stupid and annoying. – Desmond Tutu